Arduino nano rp2040 connect firmware

i have been unable to communicate with my arduino nano rp2040 connect
using any of the available ide environments. with the openmv ide installed i click on the left hand link and get several failures. if i have used the process outlined to ground the ‘rec’ pin and put the chip in bootloader mode, a green light comes on and ubuntu 20.04.04 sees it as a thumb drive named rpi-rp2. the attempt to install the latest firmware gives the following error message:

PicoTool firmware update failed!
The command “picotool” terminated with exit code 249.

if i double click the reset button i get the same results. however if i just plug in the usb cable the orange light flashes, the green stays steady, and a third light changes colors. under these circumstances the error message is\

No released firmware available for the attached board!

i’ve tried the openmv ide because i’ve been unable to connect my chip using the arduino ide; i’ve tried both 2.0.1 on an ubuntu 22.01 installation and the
32 bit 18.xxx on an rpi4. with 2.0.1 the blink program compiles but upload fails with error 1; the board (originally seen by the ide as rp2040 connect and on a specific port) becomes disconnected from the ide and shows up as the thumb drive rpi-rp2. the rpi4 won’t compile the program; somewhere i got a message saying a number had too many decimal points. anyone understand what i’m doing wrong?

i’ve tried the openmv ide because i’ve been unable to connect my chip using the arduino ide;

It sounds like you have a broken board, you should contact Arduino.