Problems with Wifi Shield

Thanks, it’s working reliably now.

The project I am attempting is a social robot that detects people, tracks their faces, and follows them about, and talks to them.

I am using text to speech via node-red on a Raspberry Pi.

I have an ESP8266 driving the robot base. The camera is on an Adafruit pan-tilt kit on the robot base.

I will probably send the face rectangle to the ESP8266 via Wifi and get it to do the pan and tilt as well as the robot movement. Or if necessary, I will use a serial link to the ESP8266.

I might send the image of the face to a server so it can do recognition of specific people, probably using OpenCV.

I might link the robot to Amazon Alexa via the Raspberry Pi, so I can ask it questions and get it to control my house.

We looked into using the EPS32 for this. Unfortunately they didn’t add a camera interface so one of the two cores will have to spend more or less 100% of the time capturing images always since it would have to go into an interrupt routine to poll a 24 MHz clock source from the camera constantly. The other core will be tied up with WiFi/BLE. Anyway, such a system could work… but, there would be little time for actual image processing.

Anyway, keep letting us know what you need help with! Thanks for being an early user. We’re going to keep making the system better and better.

I’ve just starting using a WiFi shield…
and I’m stuck at the first step:

import network
wlan = network.WINC()

hangs with no message and requires a restart to clear. This is true both with the default firmware:
v1.8-4344-gc9d17c1 on 2016-09-20
and with the patched version
v1.8-4345-g3a2670b on 2016-10-11
posted above.
Other modules, including the camera, seem to work fine. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Bill
P.S. The IDE firmware version file location on Mac OS is: /OpenMV IDE.app/Contents/Resources/firmware

Looks like the cam can’t detect the WiFi module, it’s definitely not a FW problem. First make sure all the pins are connected all the way, if it’s still doesn’t work send us an email openmv@openmv.io it might be a bad module.

Solved: It was a pin connection issue.

I initially didn’t think this was the case: the pins seated well, I had power and ground, and a second shield placed on top of the WiFi shield worked fine (the thermal shield (which uses I2C)). After checking the through-connectivity of each pin, one pin that the WiFi shield uses wasn’t connecting. Swapping to another OpenMV board didn’t help; this time there there were two SPI pins that didn’t connect. I managed to get the WiFi shield working by connecting each pin to the OpenMV header using jumper wires.

It appears that with this set of stacking pins&headers, slight misalignment between the two sets on each board (due to the way they were solders) can cause some individual pins to not make contact. I didn’t know the design permitted this…

Now that WiFi connects, on to the software…

Can you post a picture?

OK, Here you go:
Doesn’t work; P1 or P2 do not connect (I’ve beeped out the connections several times with a multimeter, and wiggled it every way I can imagine) (swapping OpenMV main boards gives the same syptoms, but with other pins):

The WiFi shield works with jumpers (I ran out of jumper wires of the same length):
DSC01399_WiFi_Jumpers.jpg
Works (WIFi Shield in back):

Works (Thermal shield) (uses the I2C bus):

The pins are seated as far into the female headers as they will go… As far as I can tell, it’s something to do with the way the pin mates with the header when the rows are slightly misaligned. I’m tempted to de-solder the headers and put shorter ones on, but I’m not sure how much EM clearance the WiFI needs.
Bill

This is probably a manufacturing issue with the headers…

I see what MacroFab can do to address this. Thanks for posting.