Trouble building from source

Hi all,
Currently I am having the following error building from source following the linux installation instructions:

The error occurs when running make -j$(nproc) TARGET=OPENMVPT -C src

make: Entering directory '/home/parallels/test/openmv/src'
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/parallels/test/openmv/src/hal/cmsis'
AS src/st/startup_stm32h743xx.s
CC src/st/system_stm32fxxx.c
/usr/local/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-as: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
make[1]: *** [Makefile:40: /home/parallels/test/openmv/src/build/hal/cmsis/src/st/startup_stm32h743xx.o] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/bin/sh: 1: arm-none-eabi-gcc: Exec format error
make[1]: *** [Makefile:31: /home/parallels/test/openmv/src/build/hal/cmsis/src/st/system_stm32fxxx.o] Error 126
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/parallels/test/openmv/src/hal/cmsis'

I’ve reinstalled the arm toolkit and check path and the actual toolkit location to ensure proper installation. I’m stuck of what to try from here and would appreciate any assistance!

Seems like there is an issue with your binaries. Are they the same architecture as your machine? Talking about gcc.

Oh that seems to be the issue, I’m currently on an m1 mac running an arm64 ubuntu vm.

and this was my file output:
file arm-none-eabi-gcc
arm-none-eabi-gcc: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=38f3d4f8680b53d8ba4ce832416d13c0a82b8cc9, stripped

Sorry I’m a beginner but how can I get the ARM version of said binaries, or would it just be easier to do run my VM on a non ARM architecture. Thank you!

I don’t have an M1. So, I don’t know how you solve this. I’ve got a lenovo thinkpad running windows with WSL to compile code with.

I have a windows desktop so I’ll give it a shot with that. Thank you!