H7 firmware build error 'forward reference' gc.blocks.table

I created a fresh clone of the firmware project and tried to build the OPENMV4P project. I did my best to follow the instructions. Cleaned and built Micropython without errors.
Cleaned and built the H7 with "make -j$(nproc) TARGET=OPENMV4P -C src ". It went pretty far but then threw error
" /usr/local/arm-none-eabi/bin/…/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.2.1/…/…/…/…/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld:/home/db/OpenMV_FW_2024_10B/src/build/stm32fxxx.lds:61: non constant or forward reference address expression for section .gc.blocks.table
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status "

Any ideas?

The rest of the error msg:
" make: *** [/home/db/OpenMV_FW_2024_10B/src/omv/ports/stm32/omv_portconfig.mk:725: firmware] Error 1 "

Please update to gcc 13.2.

I’m struggling to install 13.2 per the build instructions on openmv/src/README.md at master · openmv/openmv · GitHub.

Your build instructions start with a command to install build-essentials . As soon as I do that, Linux starts reporting <gcc --version> as 11.4.0
I then run your commands for installing 13.2, but Linux continues to report 11.4.0.

If I install 13.2 correctly, should I see it reported as 13.2?

Also confusing, the instructions for installing gcc 13.2 say it gets installed in \usr\local\arm-none-eabi, but the commands seem to define the TOOLCHAIN_PATH as {HOME}/cache/gcc. Is this how it should be?

Thanks for your help!

See here for the most recent way to install the tools: openmv/tools/ci.sh at master · openmv/openmv (github.com)

build-essential is the desktop Linux GCC. Not the embedded tool chain.

Works! Got the new clone to compile for my custom board!

Realizing that gcc is different from arm-none-eabi-gcc was a hurdle, duh. Now it’s reporting --version as 13.2.

From there I chased down about 20 compile errors that were scattered all around. The trickiest was figuring out where &_heap_start and &_heap_end were defined. I eventually grabbed a macro that was used for F4 instead of OpenMV4P which seems to have worked.

Moving forward again, thanks K-Man!

Cool, Let me know if Field Data Tech needs anymore contracting work and thanks for buying license keys per board.

It’ll happen but maybe a few months out. We’ll be gasping for air on the hw for a few more months. Then the white-labeled and stripped down IDE will be needed. Thanks! -Doug

Yes, please discuss consulting work offline.