RT1062s dying after soldering despite taking care

There’s a component between a few I/O pins on the rt1062s, and we have had to solder around them to add our power pins and I/O. The whole experience was incredibly frustrating, and the fact that these weren’t soldered on from factory is kind of insane. The team I am working with are all decently competent with electronics devices and are experienced with micro controller soldering. but I have never seen devices in between pins before.

In the process of soldering these pins on, we have had 4 boards stop functioning. There are no solder bridges between any of the pins, and we have tried our best to maintain a low amount of heat. 1 of them has lost their resistor in the process of troubleshooting, 2 of them just wont connect despite showing up as usb devices and one of them is stuck in DFU. Is there any way of recovering these cameras? My team almost just wants to switch to either H7s that we have leftover or to a different company.

this is the camera stuck in DFU. It never connects, and when it does the flash we never see the blue light.
I can’t upload a picture of the issue we see because this forum only lets me put one picture here.

with 2 of the cameras we just see a prompt that says “Connecting… if this takes more than 5 seconds hit cancel”. I cant put this picture in either because of the forum restrictions.

and this is the component that is missing from the third.

it looks mildly sloppy because we used a solder sucker to attempt to remove the pins, but then we noticed the missing component.

Is there any way to fix these, and to better our process going forward? so far, these cameras have not been worth our time at all and I would like to change that.

Hi Dragonite,

Some folks ask us not to solder the headers. Some do. Whatever we do people complain. So, we just leave them unsoldered.

In the process of soldering these pins on, we have had 4 boards stop functioning. There are no solder bridges between any of the pins, and we have tried our best to maintain a low amount of heat. 1 of them has lost their resistor in the process of troubleshooting, 2 of them just wont connect despite showing up as usb devices and one of them is stuck in DFU. Is there any way of recovering these cameras? My team almost just wants to switch to either H7s that we have leftover or to a different company.

I have soldered plenty of devices at home with a hacko soldering iron and do not have issues. Most customers do not have issues soldering the camera headers. We’ve sold the H7 with undersolded headers too. For you to break cameras soldering the headers means you have solder bridges all over the place. The component between the pins is a TVS diode. If you remove it then the system will work as expected and there will not be any harm.

Looking at your picture. You’re using different headers than we would have supplied with the camera anyway… so, the default headers we would have soldered would have been wrong for you.

Anyway,

I’m available right now to do live debugging if you are online. Please send us an email via openmv@openmv. Otherwise, you can try to connect SBL to VCC to recover the firmware. However, I doubt this is the issue. Note that if the system is broken it wouldn’t even show up for the IDE to connect to it.

with 2 of the cameras we just see a prompt that says “Connecting… if this takes more than 5 seconds hit cancel”. I cant put this picture in either because of the forum restrictions.

For example, this implies there’s a more serious issue. Note that the default firmware shipped with the cameras from the factory had a critical bug fix which required updating the firmware before saving a script to it’s flash. Did you update the firmware when the IDE prompted you to on first connect?

If the forums allow me to i can post pictures of all 10 cameras we have in stock. Not a single one has a single solder bridge on it. The factory headers would have worked fine for us in either regard, as we make our own wires to suit our needs, but that is besides the point.

To my knowledge the team did update before saving but I cannot guarantee it. We did not know about this bug in the original factory firmware, is there a way to recover them from this critical bug or is are these cameras dead?

in either regard, I do appreciate your help.

Hi, yes, the RT1062 is very hard to break permanently.

Just connect the SBL wire to VCC (3.3V) and then plug it into the PC. The IDE will then update the firmware to the latest. Once finished, you need to remove the camera from the PC and then disconnect the 3.3V from the SBL pin. Then, reconnect to the PC. The system should be functional again at this point (note that the IDE dialog at the end of updating the firmware isn’t quite right… you need to remove the SBL wire first after updating before the IDE can connect as the SBL wire forces a ROM bootloader to recover the system).

From the issue you were having, it sounds like the firmware wasn’t updated before saving a script.

Email us our the company email address if you’d like hands-on support right now. I’m, free for the next 4 hours.