What happen when FLIR Lepton 3.5 shutter automatic calibration?

Hi, I am trying to implement a socket client on Openmv board with FLIR Lepton 3.5 to send the captured img with a periodic timer, but I met some problems when the thermal camera automatically calibrates.

I implement a periodic timer to snapshot and send the picture to the server, and everything is fine before the automatic calibration. However, when automatic calibration happened, the socket client sending program reported with [Errno 104] ECONNRESET, and I tried to deinit the timer and wait for some time to reconnect, but after twice reconnect but disconnect for probable calibration, the client cannot connect to the server anymore even the server is running.

I am wondering whether there is some signals before the automatic calibration happens, and I can stop the sensor.snapshot in advance to avoid the error happen, and how long time it takes the sensor to recover from the automatic calibration, and I can restart the streaming after everything.

Hi, there are ways to poll the sensor using the Lepton API. But generally, the sensor will calibrate randomly whenever it feels like it. Disabling it from doing this will result in a corrupted image. There’s not much you can do about this. Instead, I recommend making your protocol tolerant to the calibration.

Thanks for your replies, and I knew the calibration is important to the sensor, but it is too randomly somehow. Just wonder any signal about the calibration arrival? Now I make my protocol tolerant to the calibration by recover from the connection reset caused by the calibration, but it still not quite ideal.

Right now, I don’t know what triggers it. But, if you want to get into the Lepton API, you can look for what triggers it. 1 (sparkfun.com)

Please search the forums for how to call API functions from Python. I’ve posted code samples on this a few times.

1 Like