File transfer over Ethernet cable

I have been looking around to see if anyone else has asked this, but I haven’t found anything that directly answers my question yet.

I am attempting to take pictures (.bmp) saved on the SD card and transfer them to a computer at a long distance away. Where I am attaching the camera has an available fiber optic cable with a converter to go from an ethernet cable to fiber optic and then back on the computer end.

My current thought is to use the the UART Tx/Rx on the H7R2 (pins P0/P1 or P4/P5) connected to the appropriate wires on an ethernet cable to be converted to the fiber in a meter (probably shorter but still an unknown at the moment). Ethernet cables have a Tx+/Tx- and Rx+/Rx- as a twisted pair, but I think for the short distance I should be able to just use one of each. The receiving end of the fiber will also be a short run to the computer.

So my questions are:

1. Am I able to use UART to send the file over an ethernet/fiber cable system with that connection to the camera?
  2. If I do need to use the Tx+/Tx- and Rx+/Rx- can I use both P0/P1 and P4/P5 to give the differential signal?
  3. Is the RPC library the proper thing to use to make the file transfer in this case or is there something else I should be using?

Thanks you for any any help you can give.

Yeah, use the RPC library. There’s an example showing off how to send a JPEG image. Sending a BMP file can be done the same way. The system can do 7.5 Mb/s on the baud rate for serial.

You should use a RS422 front end: https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Conversion-Over-voltage-Over-current-Protection-3-3V/dp/B078N1CFJF