First of all, I must say what a great project! Thank you for documenting everything and open sourcing it!! I am currently planning on buying one to try out.
I need to create a PCB to have the OV7725 plug directly to my iMac via USB. I don’t need all the extra peripherals and whatnot. Just a simple camera connection to my computer. I am well versed in Eagle, but not in programming. I wanted to ask if I can just delete any peripherals on the eagle files that I don’t need and reroute the PCB or do I need to modify any code as well to have it work directly with my computer to stream video?
Basically I want to make something like this: 1080p Usb Camera Wide Angle Mini Camcorder Cctv Camera With 3.7mm Lens 720p Usb Camera Mini Webcam For Surveillance Systems - Analog Camera - AliExpress
You have to have the STM32 attached to turn the camera data bus into USB data. If you want want the STM32 chip you need a Cypress camera to USB interface chip.
Camera chips do not directly connect to USB. They just send out data on a parallel 8-bit data bus.
Thanks for the quick reply! I have no problem keeping the STM32 chip.
- The cypress camera to USB interface chip you speak of, is this on the board already or I need to add one?
- Are there also any code modifications required? Do I just upload the default code?
- The default H7 you offer on your website - can I stream video from it directly to my computer? I see it has a USB connection.
Sorry for the noobish questions, I have yet to get one in my hands to explore.
- You’d have to buy and spec one and then write custom firmware. You’d basically be designing your own product.
- Expect months of development.
- Yes, but, it’s not a webcam. It can stream to our IDE. We have a firmware that makes it into a webcam and it will work with some programs using UVC.
I can only provide help support for folks using the OpenMV Cam with the default hardware build. If you are doing your own thing you are welcome to however.