60 fps ceiling on VGA on H7

The main page for the H7 claims 75FPS at VGA resolution is possible, but I seem to max out at exactly 60 (Grayscale, forced off auto exposure, gain, wb to low values). I can get 150, as advertised, for QVGA Here’s the code I’m uploading

import sensor, image, time

sensor.reset()                      # Reset and initialize the sensor.
sensor.set_pixformat(sensor.GRAYSCALE) # Set pixel format to RGB565 (or GRAYSCALE)
sensor.set_framesize(sensor.VGA)   # Set frame size to QVGA (320x240)
sensor.set_auto_exposure(False,100)
sensor.set_auto_gain(False,0,0)
sensor.set_auto_whitebal(False)
sensor.skip_frames(time = 2000)     # Wait for settings take effect.
clock = time.clock()                # Create a clock object to track the FPS.

while(True):
    clock.tick()                    # Update the FPS clock.
    img = sensor.snapshot()         # Take a picture and return the image.
    print(clock.fps())              # Note: OpenMV Cam runs about half as fast when connected
                                    # to the IDE. The FPS should increase once disconnected.

I’ve tried variations (Bayer, rgb). Nothing seems to raise it above 60.

Hi, the camera will lock in some other settings when it turns on that limit this based on lighting. Please use it with outside sunlight coming in and it should go up to 150 FPS.

That said, as a note, the FPS Mac is meaningless, the second you try to process anything that number will fall.

We will have an update by the end of the year however that will allow triple buffering for the camera sensor which will allow the processor to run faster than the camera. When this is released FPS will knit be limited by cpu speed. The numbers then will be completely disconnected from the camera frame rate.

I’m able to reach 150fps on QVGA no problem. 60 is the max, in direct sunlight at all times (from power on to run) for VGA. I’m not previewing, just showing the fps in the IDE.

Yeah, 60 for VGA is the max on the camera. When QVGA is enabled you can go faster to 150 FPS. Please see the camera datasheet. It doesn’t run faster than 60 in VGA mode. It’s only supposed to be 120 in QVGA, But, we overclock it slightly.