So I am noticing I clicked OpenMV1... Thought I had 1 but I guess I have 2
I got it to give me an image in the frame buffer. Sorry for the false alarm.
I will go look into setting up a linux vm... I'm on OS X.
I've also found that the IDE is less robust loading the example code on OSX than it is on Linux (Ubuntu). Mostly this manifests as having to hit "Connect" and then "Execute" several times before the code will run.
This is running the IDE from the current source tree, not the pre-built OSX application. I can't dig into it right now, but I suspect that there is an issue with USB being handled differently in OSX than in Linux (encountered this before). When I get back to the office next week I'll see if I can find any notable differences between OSX and Linux with my Beagle USB bus analyzer.