Local Testing

Discussion related to "under the hood" OpenMV topics.
Isperia

Local Testing

Postby Isperia » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:24 am

Is it possible to run OpenMV code locally on a PC on a stored dataset to test how it works at high speed, instead of having to use real time data at camera processing speed?
I specifically want to iterate different algorithmic options on a dataset with a few hundred test cases to try to optimize speed and efficiency.
Thanks!
kwagyeman

Re: Local Testing

Postby kwagyeman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:44 pm

Not really, the library is written for an MCU. You'd have to instrument our code for running on the PC.

We've love to do this... but, it's a lot of effort we don't have time for. If the community wanted to help support a port that would be awesome. MicroPython has a branch that runs on the PC under linux. So, it's not a full re-write. But, you'd have to fix a lot of compile issues to get it working on the PC.
Nyamekye,
CameraMan

Postby CameraMan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:59 pm

I was thinking about this also recently. I planned to try some sort of virtual micro python instance first to see if that was even possible.
-Chief Tinkering Officer
Isperia

Postby Isperia » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:23 pm

Yeah, I might look into implementing that myself. In the end, I'll probably just end up using standard python image libraries to test those algorithms. I'll post here if I do end up building anything semi-useful!
CameraMan

Postby CameraMan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:14 am

This looks interesting:
https://github.com/beckus/qemu_stm32
-Chief Tinkering Officer

Return to “Technical Discussion”