Any suggestion to detect the high-speed moving object

General discussion about topics related to OpenMV.
Alfred168

Any suggestion to detect the high-speed moving object

Postby Alfred168 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:02 am

Hi! Everyone
I am working on a project that deters the small bird (moving at high speed) before they hit the window. It is my first time to use the OpenMv and I do not have any machine learning background. So far, I find out two algorithms that can be used in my project, frame differencing and optical flow. I decided to try the frame differencing first since it has example code. Both of them only tell whether a moving object passes by. I am looking for an algorithm or method which is easy to use and able to distinguish the small bird and human (Maybe run the frame differencing and Face recognition together?). Any suggestion or example code can be helpful.
kwagyeman

Re: Any suggestion to detect the high-speed moving object

Postby kwagyeman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:57 am

Is there a way you can constrain the variables in your project? What you want to do right now is extremely hard.
Nyamekye,
Alfred168

Postby Alfred168 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:48 pm

Do you mean the environment variables? The basic goal of this project is to detect whether the small birds fly toward the device. If a human walks toward the device, then do nothing.
kwagyeman

Postby kwagyeman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:20 pm

Um, so, you basically said I want a camera in an outdoor environment to detect birds accurately and not people.

This is really hard. Lighting, clouds, etc, all make this very hard. Yes, if our system was powerful enough to run a CNN that could do bounding boxes them you could somewhat tackle the problem. However, lighting and etc. will hurt the CNNs performance without a lot of training data collected by you.

So, is there anything about your application that could make the problem easier?
Nyamekye,
Alfred168

Postby Alfred168 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:16 pm

Sorry to reply late. I spend some time talking with my project partner to see whether I can decrease the difficulty of the project.

1. The device will be put at an angle (like a 45 degree), then the vision of OpenMv will only see the sky, tree, and bird.
2. The device only needs to run in the daytime and sleep during the night time.
3. I run the example of advanced Frame differencing and it can output a True or false. My project partner suggests me to add the blob function in the advanced Frame differencing to pick up and track the area of the changed pixels. If the area of changed pixels is getting bigger, then do the next action.
4. I will also use the PIR sensor and Ultrasonic sensor to reduce the uncertain detection (like human).

This is a school project and does not have to be too professional and accurate. The following file is my thought on the operating mode of OpenMv in the project.

Do you think it will work or you have a better idea?

Thank you to spend time to think about my project and I really appreciate that
kwagyeman

Postby kwagyeman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Hi, this will actually work well then. What you are saying greatly reduces the difficulty.

I also recommend a shade over the camera to reduce sunlight and stray light.
Nyamekye,

Return to “General Topics”