Is the serial terminal in IDE output only?

Hi,

I’m trying to implement some serial communication over USB on openMV. However, it seems I can send data to USB_VCP and see them in Serial Terminal, but I can not send anything back to OpenMV. It seems I can not type anything into the Serial Terminal.

Is there anything I did wrong? Or I have to use another serial monitor program?

Thanks

Hi, OpenMV IDE only provides debug out from the camera.

If you want two way coms you’ll have to use the VCP port without OpenMV IDE and when the camera connects to OpenMV IDE you enter debug mode.

Yes… you could consider this a feature we’re missing. However, it’s generally been on the low priority to implement.

Thank you for confirming this.

So I suppose the best way to debug communication is to use a text editor to edit main.py. Connect a serial terminal, use Control-C to terminate script and run again with execfile(‘main.py’)

Um, no, use the Open terminal feature in OpenMV IDE. This let’s you get a serial terminal to the camera that bypasses our debug stack. However, the serial terminal can display images if you do:

print(img.compress_for_ide(), end=“”)

Should have mentioned this. See the serial terminal under tools → open terminal. It’s literally a standard terminal to the cam. Any keystrokes you type ae sent to the cam and ehoed when the cam is in repl mode.

1 Like

Any chance that this behavior might get an upgrade in the future (not sure of your roadmap)? I realize that this thread is old, and my request has to do with Micropython boards in general, but it seems that OpenMV would become even more useful for the budding MP coder (like me) if the REPL was usable in the Serial Terminal in the main window.

Use Case for Micropythonistas

I have looked all over the net for a decent IDE for Picropython that is easy to use, doesn’t look like it was built for 5 year olds, and has all of the tools I need to code and run/iterate in one place. Thonny and Mu are not what I am looking for, and VS Code and Atom are plagued with plugin incompatibilities that constantly keep me from being able to reliably connect to the boards.

OpenMV has it all

I would love to use it all the time, as it is easy and has all of the views I need in the main window, with the exception of one: the REPL.

Add the REPL to the Main Window?

Is is possible to add a terminal window section (possibly named REPL) to the main window next to the current “Serial Terminal” (possibly renamed to “Debug Output”)? This way, all of the interfacing tools necessary to integrate code quickly could be integrated into the main window for speed of workflow? It would also allow an easy toggle view between the debug output and the REPL.

Any thoughts?

2021-06-26 10.52.25

It’s been a todo to add text input support to the main terminal. Please note that our debug connection is not REPL. It’s quite a bit more reliable. The REPL prompt has a lot of issues when sending scripts and etc.

What exact flow do you want?

Generally, what keeps this from getting done is our time which is limited. We really need people to submit code PRs with new features.