Open a video file from computer with OpenMV IDE

Discussion related to "under the hood" OpenMV topics.
Hydrorion

Open a video file from computer with OpenMV IDE

Postby Hydrorion » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 am

Hello everyone !
It's my first time with machine vision and i wanted to start with OpenMV M7 !
In order to ease test and developpement of my project i would like to read a video file from my computer instead of the camera video, any idea ?
(PS : I tryed to import cv2 but it didn't work)
kwagyeman

Re: Open a video file from computer with OpenMV IDE

Postby kwagyeman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:35 pm

The OpenMV Cam cannot read video files from the PC. The system is a microcontroller running MicroPython. While you can program it in Python you don't have access to desktop python libraries. MicroPython is there to make it do whatever you need easy via a scripting language interface.

Anyway, what is your application? I'll try to guide you on what you need to do.
Nyamekye,
Hydrorion

Postby Hydrorion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:47 am

Well i'm trying to pilote an adaptative driving beam depending on what is in front of a care. Since it's a bit hard to develop and driving by night i would like to test the code on a video. I know we can play back a video we already saved, but i wanted to try on another video i get from internet before. Maybe i can put the video on the on micro sd card and play it ? I didn't find a way to play a video witch is on sd card, is it possible ?
kwagyeman

Postby kwagyeman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:44 pm

I see, to do this you'll need me to create a converter in OpenMV IDE that allows you to turn a video into one of the RAW video capture files the OpenMV Cam can read. I have a converter for turning that into a normal video file but not the other way around.

This is a good feature request. Can you make a ticket for tracking this here and I'll do it: https://github.com/openmv/openmv-ide/issues
Nyamekye,
Hydrorion

Postby Hydrorion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:43 pm

No problemes !
Thank for your quick answer.

I wanted to thank you for your work to, that's really a good project, you guys are doing a great job ! I wish the best for you guys.

Return to “Technical Discussion”