OpenMV IDE on aarch64 (Nvidia Jetson TX1)

Hi
Has anyone managed to compile the IDE for aarch64 or armV8 as yet - I am trying to get it to run on an Nvidia Jetson TX1 but am having issues with the fact there doesnt appear to be a compatible version of QT that will compile the IDE for it.
Has anyone else compiled the IDE for those architectures or can someone point me at the right versions of QT that i need to compile it.
Cheers
Al

If that arch is arm then the Raspberry Pi port should run on it. The raspberry pi port is for the oldest raspberry pi architecture.

Otherwise, unless there’s a Qt version it’s going to be an extreme amount of work.

Note that the IDE runs fine without 64 bit support.

The raspberry pi port doesnt run on it and i can only assume its because its a 32 bit build - the TX1 is a bit fussy about that - it is an arm processor with built in nvidia gpu so its slightly different than normal - an arm64 build might work on it i expect…

Mmm, this must be because you are running a 64-bit OS. Linux doesn’t let you mix 32-bit and 64-bit apps easily. You’ll need to install all the 32-bit libs.

hmmm problem with doing that is it may break the current install which is a specific ubuntu 64 build for tegra based on xenial… what are the minimum 32 bit libs i would need to run openmv-ide

I can’t really help you with answering that question. Generally you have to keep installing stuff until it works.

hmmm wont work - the system breaks before the ide works - lucky i backed up first - woud be interested in someone being able to eventually compile and arm64 (aarch64) version. :frowning:

I was only able to make the OpenMV IDE work on arm by using the qtrpi tools. Getting 64-bit support requires doing a full recompile of qt.

This is somewhat of a magnificent amount of work and frustration.

Anyway, why are you trying to run OpenMV IDE of a TX1? Just curious.

the TX1 is currently used as the flight controller in a fixed wing drone which we develop and provide to emergency services and LE. One of the new user requirements with respect to onboard visual processing requires ease of use by the operator and the openmv is the best solution we have found for that so far off the shelf… provided we can get it to run on the TX1… the issue i faced trying to compile it on the TX1 was that the version of QT didnt have the IFW firmware upload library and i dont know QT well enough to mess with it… if it was ROS , PYTHON or C++ - no problem but QT is not something i have learnt… it may turn out that we need to find an alternative to the M7 which would be a pity as it does do everything we need and does meet the user spec…

So, unless you are programming the OpenMV Cam you don’t need OpenMV IDE.

What’s your goal with OpenMV IDE on the Jetson? To view what the OpenMV Cam sees or to be able to reprogram it? You can do all these things without the IDE in general.

For example, if you’d like to send custom scripts to the camera you can control it via a python script on the Jetson. MicroPython has a python script which let’s you send the OpenMV Cam new scripts to run.

Remember, all processing is done on the OpenMV Cam itself. The IDE is just for development purposes. It doesn’t do any computer vision itself.

the IDE is for the user to be able to program the board easily - the end-users arent programmers so making it as easy for them to do that as possible is the preference. - the vision stuff is done on the m7 - but the scripts are more easily writtenand loaded by the ide for the “average” user we are dealing with…

I see.

I don’t know how to solve this problem for you with our current resources. It’s just me an Ibrahim working on OpenMV right now. We’re really busy rolling out a lot of feature necessary for DIY Robocar racing and the upcoming H7 module which will double the feature performance.

Anyway, so, there is hope… you can try to get the old IDE working here:

https://github.com/openmv/openmv/tree/master/usr

The protocol has diverged slightly though from when it was written. So, you make have to fix some stuff. But, it can send scripts and load the frame buffer. Since it’s all in python just remove the parts you don’t need from it to make it look better.

Here’s how the current IDE code works:

Maybe give this script a shot:

https://github.com/openmv/openmv/blob/master/usr/openmv-fb.py