Upgrading to 1.9.3

Is there any time frame on when the current OpenMV firmware will be upgraded to the Micropython 1.9.3 release?

I’d like to make usage of the wlan.config() method in 1.9.3 release to setup the M7 board hostname instead of using the naked IP address.

http://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/esp8266/library/network.html?highlight=hostname#network.wlan.config

Um, this might be possible if it’s not too painful. I’m stuck right now trying to release v2.6. I’ve finished the IDE but I have to redo a lot of documentation work which is taking forever since there are so many events at the end of the year.

Note that I’ve found an issue with v2.6 where my SD card I’ve been using forever fails to work. We might have to go to v2.6.1 to fix this.

Hi, this class is specific to ESP8266 (you can’t use it with our WiFi module even if we update to 1.9.3). Currently there’s no way to change the host name of WINC1500, it should set the host name to WINC-mac_addr[1]-mac_addr[0]. However, that doesn’t seem to happen (looking at my router’s DHCP table and the host name is not set), I think maybe it needs a firmware update.

Hi Ibrahim,

Thanks for the clarification about that method being specific to the ESP8266. Regarding the hostname, I see the same problem in my router (i.e. hostname not being set).

I’m trying to use Google single sign-in API to access the camera remotely, but Google requires a hostname. It cannot use the IP address to authenticate. Do you have instructions on how to update the firmware on the WiFi module?

There’s a script included with the IDE to update the module’s firmware, it’s really easy to use you just copy the firmware binary to SD and run the script. However I have to pull the latest host driver + firmware from ASF first, merge, upload to a module via serial, test and then dump the binary. This process will take a while, but I plan to work on this soon. The good news is the new host driver and/or firmware allow setting the hostname.

That will be great. Would you mind posting back here when it is available? Thanks Ibrahim!

Yes I’ll post an update here.

Hi, this issue is fixed now, but it won’t be released for a while. Here’s what you need to do if you want to update the firmware:

# WINC Firmware Update Script.
#
# This script updates the ATWINC1500 WiFi module firmware.
# Copy the firmware image to uSD card before running this script.
# NOTE: Firmware version 19.5.2 does NOT support ATWINC1500-MR210PA.

import network

# Init wlan module in Download mode.
wlan = network.WINC(mode=network.WINC.MODE_FIRMWARE)

# Start the firmware update process.
# For ATWINC1500-MR210PA/B
#wlan.fw_update("/winc_19_4_4.bin")

# For ATWINC1500-MR210PB only.
wlan.fw_update("/winc_19_5_2.bin")
  • Reset the camera and run the scan.py script from examples, it should print the following line:
Firmware version: (19, 5, 2, 19, 3, 0, 1377184)
  • Now run connect.py script and check your router’s DHCP table, you should see WINC setting a hostname:

Note I didn’t update the host driver to avoid requiring a firmware update to make WINC work.

I was able to update the firmware to 2.6, but I get this error when I run the WINC Firmware Update Script.

You need to update to 2.7 (development image) here:

https://github.com/openmv/openmv/tree/master/firmware/OPENMV3

Thanks Ibrahim. It works now.

It went from this:
Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 8.48.08 AM.png
To this:
Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 8.47.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 8.44.23 AM.png