WIFI Shield not working

Hi, I received the camera, LCD & WIFI modules and tried playing around with them. It seems that the WIFI module is not working. I installed the GUI version 1.5 on Windows 10 and got most of the examples programs to work, including the LCD shield.

When I plug in the WIFI shield the COM Port disappears from the dropdown list in the GUI. I also notice that none of the LEDs on the camera module blinks when I plug it into the USB port and it starts up. I have tried it with and without the LCD plugged in. I plugged the WIFI unit with the PCB antenna on the board adjacent to the camera lens as seen in the pictures.

I tried this example “emboss_snapshot.py” and got the following error messages:

You’re on camera!
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 30, in
OSError: Failed to write requested bytes!
Micro Python v1.4.4-189-g4f6880b on 2016-05-03; OPENMV2 with STM32F427
Type “help()” for more information.

Thanks

Hi, I’m not able to answer questions fully right now but I will try my best via my phone.

The emboss script is failing because you need as SD card. I thin we need to add an assert if you try to save images without an SD card installed.

As for the WiFi shield… You’re the second person who’s had a problem now. I’m concerned. I’ll need to order the batch MacroFab produced to see if there’s a problem. We built 10 test units and they all worked before we built 100. But, maybe something went wrong.

Anyway, I’ll get the WiFi problem sorted out for you one way or another.

When I plug in the WIFI shield the COM Port disappears from the dropdown list in the GUI.

Are you hot-plugging the WiFi shield ?

I also notice that none of the LEDs on the camera module blinks when I plug it into the USB port and it starts up

If the uSD is connected the LEDs won’t blink, unless there’s a main.py script on the uSD. So this one is normal.

I think you need to update the firmware to fix this problem. I just encountered it with version 1.4. try version 1.5.

I don’t have a computer at the moment so I can’t check.