updating firmware from IDE

Hi,

I have read updating firmware from this page;

i have downloaded the latest 1,5 IDE.
I am updating with IDE built-in bootloader,
Got 2 questions :

1. Do i need to connect 3,3V to BOOT0 for updating firmware ?
  2. should i only update ; openmv/firmware/OPENMV2/firmware.bin or should i update bootloader.bin and openmv.bin also ?

thanks in advance
  1. Do i need to connect 3,3V to BOOT0 for updating firmware ?

Not if you’re using the bootloader built-in to the IDE. Using the BOOT0 pin is for recovering from being totally bricked.

1. should i only update ; openmv/firmware/OPENMV2/firmware.bin or should i update bootloader.bin and openmv.bin also ?

Pick the largest file. They are all part of the same firmware image. The largest one has all the pieces. If you upload the smaller ones that will brick the system.

bootloader.bin ; 64kb
firmware.bin ; 850kb
openmv.bin ; 914kb

so i did flash openmv.bin which is largest
and now i have a bricked device :frowning:

Ah, okay, so, you can unbrick it by following the tutorial here: Home · openmv/openmv Wiki · GitHub

I thought you were talking about that one. For using the built-in boot loader in the IDE you want the second largest file.

Since the STM32 is unbrickable you don’t really have to worry. :slight_smile:

wow, it was the easiest unbricking of my life :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
thank you

For anyone else reading this, you only need to update the main firmware image (openmv/firmware/OPENMV2/firmware.bin) as mentioned in the wiki. If you upload any other binary, you still can recover the cam using the IDE, the bootloader only writes to specific flash pages so it can’t overwrite itself.