Use FLIR Lepton and Camera toghether on one module

General discussion about topics related to OpenMV.
Amirhossein

Use FLIR Lepton and Camera toghether on one module

Postby Amirhossein » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 am

Hey guys,
Can we use both FLIR Lepton and a Comera on a OpenMV Module together ? How can I do that ?
kwagyeman

Re: Use FLIR Lepton and Camera toghether on one module

Postby kwagyeman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:57 am

Hi, for various reasons it's actually extremely hard to make the FLIR Lepton 3 work with any MCU. The device has silicon bugs in it that cause it to crash if not clocked by SPI constantly. Then given it's weird vospi protocol we had to write a very *creative* driver solution to pull data from it without issues. The device does not lend itself to being something controlled in python via polling.

As for the Lepton 1 - that one can be polled. If you want to use it with and OpenMV Cam you can write a driver for it in python and control it via the I2C bus and read data from it's VOSPI bus.

There are numerous example drivers to write a code bunder from that you could look at. The VOSPI protocol is not complex for the Lepton 1 and you only have to execute a few I2C commands to get it to start operating.

We don't have the time to support you right now however for anything other than our planned usage which is a main camera replacement.

So... The easiest pah with the least amount of suprises is to use our I2C and SPI code and make a python driver for the LEPTON 1.

Alternatively, if you know C and are comfortable with the STM32 line of chips chainging the I/O pins for our C driver isn't that hard.
Nyamekye,

Return to “General Topics”